Orchids are one of the most beautiful and expensive flowers in the world. There are so many verities in the orchid family. But very few verities are popular among the orchids lover. Here are the best tips to grow orchids.
Most people afraid to grow orchids because of some misunderstanding about the orchid plant. Taking care of orchids is not difficult. When plants become stable you don’t need to worry about its growth. You just need to give a little bit of attention at the first stage.
Climate factors effects in orchids
Temperature effects differ according to the type of conditions orchid plant. In orchids, temperature affects not only growth but also flowering. The ideal temperature for orchids is 200 – 300 C.
Humidity is a factor that affects the growth of the plant, the formation of flowers, the size of the flower buds that occur, the color of the flowers, and so on. Therefore, it is important to be mindful of the amount of water vapor in the air.
The ideal humidity level for orchids is 60%-80%.
Sunlight also helps to achieve successful results in orchids. The orchid is a plant that loves morning sunlight.
Therefore it is important to allow direct sunlight in the morning.
Having sufficient morning sunlight during the day is very essential for the plant.
But if the plant gets direct sunlight during the day near 12.00 PM and 3 PM, plants will burn. Therefore, the plant should be exposed to sunlight with control.
So provide shade at correct time is very important.
Providing best climate factors is one of the best tips to grow orchids.
A pot is just a support for the growth of an orchid plant.
Any type of pot can be used to grow orchids and it should be well-drained.
The beginning of an orchid plantation should be done with good plants. It is very important to get plants from a trusted place. Profitable plants can cause problems. Suitable varieties must be selected.
Plants that usually grow to a height of 2-3 inches are best to grow in a single pot.
There are specialized pots used for this purpose. The most commonly used are clay pots.
The Vanda variety has long roots. Pots made from wooden straps can use for vanda.
The plants do not require large pots and the diameter between 10-15 cm(4-6 inches) is sufficient.
Watering the plants should also be done with care. The purity of water is very important.
Rainwater is suitable and chlorinated tap water is not suitable for cultivation.
If you using piped water, then it should be exposed to the air for about 24 hours before use.
Containers should be kept dry before applying the water. Do not water plants if the weather is rainy or gloomy.
Watering is required once a day when there is normal sunlight and twice a day when there is dry weather.
Important Facts About Applying Fertilizer
Here are the another best tips to grow orchids, about fertilizing.
Potassium-rich fertilizers are applied only to the flowering stage trees. Never apply it to small plants. Applying this fertilizer on small and medium stage plants will not produce flowers and will cost money unnecessarily.
“My personal experience is that when applying fertilizer, it is successful to alternate between the two types of fertilizer in two days in one week and the rest in the next week. It is sufficient to leave a gap of about 03 days.”
For example, if we take the middle stage growing plant, you can apply fertilizer on Monday in the first week, you can apply organic fertilizer on Thursday. The next Monday you can apply phosphorus-rich fertilizer. This is just an example.
You can use as many convenient days as you like.
There is no order in which fertilizers are applied. In the morning when there is good sunlight, spray fertilizer to the leaves, stems, and roots well. (Spray)
It is better to apply the fertilizer before 8.00 am and finish it at least before 10.00 am.
Because it gives the plants more time to absorb the fertilizer by applying the fertilizer before the onset of intense sun.
Avoid applying fertilizer during rainy weather. Because it helps to prevent diseases and the manure can be washed away.
Things You Should Consider About Applying Fertilizer
- Apply fertilizer as mentioned in the package or bottle.
- See if the fertilizer you buy is recommended for orchids.
- Never mix fertilizers with each other as the expected results may not be obtained.
Important – Finish using the diluted fertilizer on the same day.
The important thing is that even if you use a lot of fertilizers, that are not suitable for the relevant growth stage, the trees will not grow quickly and will not flower quickly.
In this way, you can get a successful crop as well as a good harvest by applying fertilizer according to your own schedule.
What Kind Of Fertilizer Needs For Orchids?
N – Nitrogen – Helps in leaf and stem growth.
P – Phosphorus – stimulates root growth and flowering.
K – Potassium – The plant grows well and affects the yield.
There are fertilizers in the market that are recommended according to the growth stage of the orchid plant. (Trace Elements)
The leaves, stems, and roots of the orchid can absorb water, fertilizers, and agrochemicals.
Therefore, it is important to apply liquid fertilizer.
Most organic liquid fertilizers are made from seaweed and they are high in trace elements. (Trace elements help in the healthy growth of the plant.)
There is nothing wrong with applying Controlled Release Granular Fertilizer, such as Osmocote, only as additional fertilizer.
Important – Do not use any other granular fertilizer on the orchid plant. This is because it can burn the stems and roots of the plant.
01. NPK Nitrogen Fertilizer can be applied to small plants. This fertilizer is not suitable for the middle and flowering stages. Then the plant becomes unnecessarily fleshy. Shrubs can delay flowering.
(E.g. 30:10:10 or 28:14:14)
02. NPK Balanced Fertilizer can be applied to all growth stages.
(E.g. 18:18:18 or 20:20:20)
03. NPK Phosphorus high fertilizer can be applied for all growth stages.
(Eg – 12:32:14 or 10:52:10)
04. NPK Potassium High Fertilizer should be applied only to flowering plants. (To increase productivity.)
(E.g. 12:12:36 or 7:12:40 or 13: 2: 44)
Instead of No: 03 and 04, only phosphorus and potassium fertilizers can be applied to the trees during flowering only for convenience.
Summary of Best Tips To Grow Orchids
- The ideal temperature for orchids is 200 – 300 C.
- The ideal humidity level for orchids is 60%-80%.
- Having sufficient morning sunlight during the day is very essential for the plant.
- Provide shade at the correct time is very important.
- Any type of pot can be used to grow orchids and it should be well-drained.
- Plants that usually grow to a height of 2-3 inches are best to grow in a single pot.
- Rainwater is suitable and chlorinated tap water is not suitable for cultivation.
- If you using piped water, then it should be exposed to the air for about 24 hours before use.
- Watering is required once a day when there is normal sunlight and twice a day when there is dry weather.
- Potassium-rich fertilizers are applied only to the flowering stage trees.
- It is better to apply the fertilizer before 8.00 am and finish it at least before 10.00 am.
- Finish using the diluted fertilizer on the same day.
- Apply liquid fertilizer.